Friday, September 9, 2016

~First Day of Seventeenth Grade~

Before I get into the "fun stuff," I just wanted to say that my heart currently is with a family that has shown the Bow community love and friendship. Please pray for this family during an extremely difficult time.

Yesterday was my first day of Seventeenth Grade! Although I only have been to two of my classes so far, I already can tell that I will like what I am studying. After studying history for the past four years, I felt a little nervous about expanding my field of knowledge past the year 1819. However, I will be able to apply what I am learning to research educational policy and enact change in how universities recruit and fund their students and programs.

I will follow the format of last week's "Skippy in the City," and answer questions that I am guessing many of you have. I continue to assume that my audience is 90% third and fourth grade teachers.

How was your first day of school?

My first day of school started at the same time as any normal school would, 7:20. However, the sun had begun to disappear over Broadway before I walked to class. All of my classes begin at 7:20 PM, and end at 9:00 PM. Tonight I learned that if discussions are riveting, one might not leave class until 9:30 PM. I have to admit that I did not mind the late dismissal. The video below exhibits my excitement for the first day of school.





What classes are you taking?

I am taking classes titled "College Student Development Theories," "Diversity in Higher Education," and "Curriculum and Teaching."

Huh. Who knew you could study that at Columbia? Or anywhere at all?

Yep. That's what they're gonna pay me the big bucks for.

Have you made any new friends?

OF COURSE! I have already learned more about other cultures, people, and perspectives in the past week than I have in MY ENTIRE LIFE!

What have you been up to?

Here is a list of everything that I have done in the past week.

Friday: I saw Phantom of the Opera. It was incredible.
Saturday: I met a new friend for coffee.
Sunday: I spent the day with one of my best friends from high school! We went shopping and out to lunch. It was fabulous.
Monday: I celebrated expecting mothers everywhere. Also, I went on a fabulous walk with a new friend, who gave me the "low-down" on Hinduism. Very insightful!
Tuesday: ORIENTATION DAY!
Wednesday: First day of classes. I also began my homework.
Thursday: I did homework during the day. Thursday night, I went to a comedy night with some new friends!
Friday: I had class in the morning, and I have been doing homework up until now. Later, I am going out with some friends! I kind of texted everyone that I met, and most of them are coming. I have no idea how it will work out, but it will be fun to get together with a bunch of new people! Most of my friends have also been wanting to meet new people, so we have just all been inviting each other and seeing what happens!

I have also been forcing myself to be social by signing up for different student activities. Recently, we had a "student activities fair" after our orientation. The main difference between our event and regular student activities informational fairs is that at TC, they provide wine. Ooh la la. I felt super fancy carrying around a glass of chardonnay and asking student leaders how to get involved on campus. I also felt smarter than 50% of the people there, who ended up slurring their words as they talked to me about their organizations. Talk about a confidence booster!
              *Please note that I do not endorse drinking alcohol at school functions.

Have you met any boys?!

Since 1887, Teachers College has been a beautiful place where ambitious and focused women (and yes, some men) venture to with hopes and dreams of changing the world. Driven, single women have lived on the corner of West 120 and Amsterdam for 129 years. To answer your question, no, I am not planning on getting my Ph.D. in M.R.S.

I do hope that you are satisfied with the material that I have presented you with.

Yesterday I witnessed someone on the subway "booing" a man with a Brady jersey. I ran into an animal activist passing out fliers on "street rat rights" while standing in front of a giant inflatable rat. I learned that curry and mango CAN actually go together. I also learned that the name "Lauren" is the most common name for women in my college. Gonna learn a lot more, too.

Thank you, and I really am thinking of my fav peeps back home.

Sincerely,

LP




No comments:

Post a Comment