Monday, September 19, 2016

De'Nile ain't just a river...

I offer my thoughts and prayers to the people affected by the explosion on Saturday night. Thankfully, the blast injured no one I know. I appreciate all of the texts, calls, and messages regarding my safety. Thank you for your concern!

During the summer, my parents and I saw a cheeky off-Broadway show titled Newsical. The final song, called "Denial," included a line that stated, "you're in denial... if you ever think you are safe in New York City." When I first heard the news about the explosion in Chelsea, my thoughts ran to my classmates. My second thought was that line from the song "Denial." True, we always have to be on guard. We also have to have faith in our amazing police department and security systems that are in place. From my lips to God's ears, the increased security in the city will result in a safer city.

On a lighter note, I believe that I am starting to discover the demographics of my blog's audience. The pie chart below displays the demographic breakdown of my readers that I have developed based on the comments of my family and friends.


If you are not included on this pie chart, please let me know! I would like to say that I am constantly working towards social inclusion, and would love to know if you get a kick out of this blog.

The following questions are inquiries that I suspect that you (the reader, who ever you may be), may have about my third week in New York City.*

*I feel that the fact that I am "assuming" that you are interested in my life sounds very conceited. However, I may ask the question, "why did you click on the link?"

Okay, we know you do not actually eat the pigeons that fly into your window. Where do you eat?

Any weight that I have lost due to walking around the city is gained back immediately by the gigantic quantity of bagels I eat on a weekly basis. Every morning I get a bagel with cream cheese from the deli across the street. Noticing that everyone in the deli spoke Spanish, I decided to greet my deli friends with the phrase, "?hola, como estas?" I am no longer allowed to speak English in the deli, because my deli friends insist that we work on my accent every time I order.

How is your job?

I currently work as an Administrative Fellow for the Office of Admission at Teachers College, and I am in love with my job and my coworkers. Everyone is so friendly and funny. As the Administrative Fellow, I complete regular office tasks, work with student ambassadors, meet with prospective students, and manage various social media accounts.

You can read my other blog, here!

I am usually an extremely outgoing and appropriately confident person. However, it has been very intimidating being the youngest in my program and in the office I work in. Recently, one of the student ambassadors with whom I work told me he was confused about my age. Apparently I "don't have enough wrinkles to be older than 30," unless I "do an excellent job at make-up." I asked what age range he thought I fell in, and he said "25 to 30."

The lesson here is that if you want to be taken seriously, dress and act professionally. Little do they know that I had my first cocktail about a year ago, and that I was five years old the year that Leonardo DiCaprio became a sex symbol.


Have you made any new friends? Do you ever get to see (insert name here of a friend from the Miss America Organization, high school or college)?

Why yes, I do! To answer your first question, I love my new friends! Last weekend, my neighbors and I went to a rooftop bar downtown. That night, we danced like we were 22. I also really enjoy talking with my roommates and collaborating with classmates.


To answer your second question, I have seen (Lauren, Caitlen, and Eileen)! I am beyond fortunate to have so many good friends in the city, who truly make New York feel like home.



Is there anything else that you think is worth sharing on your blog that does not really fit into a "question category?"

Why yes! I am so glad you asked. We throw out our trash by tossing it down a trash chute that runs down the entire height of our building (ten floors.) Recently, I attended an incredible presentation on efforts to support refugees who identify as LGBT. You can learn more about that organization, here!

Also, three strangers within the past two weeks have asked me about their child's FAFSA forms and/or work study assignments. The following dialogue represents the conversation that usually sparks these conversations.

Random Man: Hey, (insert clear non-New Yorker reference here like Red Sox shirt, failing to cross the street correctly, sitting in someone else's seat at Starbucks)! You're not from here (laughing)! What are you doing in New York?
Skip: Hello! No, I'm not from New York. I am in graduate school!
Random Man: Awesome! What for?
Skip: Higher and Postsecondary Education. I want to support students who want to go to college, but may not be able to afford higher education.
Random Man: Perfect! My (insert son, daughter, cat, niece, gold fish, anything) is confused because... FAFSA... Financial Aid... SUNY... Their RA... Worried my child will end up living on my couch...

You get the point. Maybe the last example was an exaggeration, but I am not exaggerating when I say that this has happened to me AT LEAST three times since I have lived here.

I am beyond excited to say that this Saturday, I will be seeing some of my dear friends from New Hampshire. I am thankful to spend the evening with members of the Miss New Hampshire family!

I also want to thank you for taking the time to read my blogspot.

Whoever you are, thank you for being you.

Sending love and good juju,

LP

No comments:

Post a Comment