Thursday, September 1, 2016

~Skippy in the City~

I have had many requests (mostly from my mother's friends) to write a blog with my experiences living in New York City. Well, here ya go! I will write about my experiences as new adventures unfold. In the world of education, we stress the importance of validating our feelings. I will also be conveying my thoughts and feelings regarding my quest to make higher education possible for all students, life in the cultural epicenter of the world, new friendships, and Kimmy Schmidt moments.

The following questions are inquiries that I suspect my mother's friends would ask me.

So what are you doing?

I am a candidate for a Masters degree in Higher and Postsecondary Education at Teachers College, Columbia University.

What are you going to do with that?

I want to work as a college or career counselor for students in under-resourced households in order to help all students reach their educational and professional goals.

Where are you living?

In the oldest residence hall in the country, on the Upper West Side of Manhattan. I live in a suite with five other women enrolled in Teachers College. We share a bathroom and a kitchen.

SIX WOMEN?! Holy cow!

If you are studying to make the world a better place, chances are you are a good person. If six women who are going to change the world all live together, that apartment is literally a power house. It's fabulous, and we are mighty.

Do you feel safe?

Before I leave the room, I do the Wonder Woman pose for three minutes. I transform from a five-foot-tall-twenty-two-year-old-who-looks-fourteen into a confidant New Yorker who is aware of her surroundings (even though I have lived here for less than 48 hours).

What do you eat?

We have stabby things outside our windows that keep the pigeons from flying in. Sometimes, when the pigeons fly into the spears, the birds perish by way of bayonet. I cook them in the oven with olive oil and parsley.

No, there is a grocery store across the street with surprisingly reasonable prices, and Stonyfield Yogurt.

What are you going to do before classes start?

I am forcing myself to be social (it is hard and scary when you are in graduate school) and a good person by volunteering with Teachers College at a soup kitchen in Harlem. On Saturday, I am meeting up with a new friend (yay, new friends!) for coffee, and then going to the Ancient Greek wing of the Met. On Sunday, I am meeting up with an old friend (yay, old friends!) to explore SoHo (which I don't think is an abbreviation for anything, but I probably could just look it up anyways). On Monday (Labor Day), I cannot wear white anymore, and will hopefully be meeting up with another friend (yay, friends!). On Tuesday, we have our orientation. On Wednesday, I begin classes.

I hope that this post has tickled your fancy.

Until next time,

SOX '04 4 EVA

Not really, I don't really care that much.

-LP

No comments:

Post a Comment